The Selling Process
The Selling Process
As a seller, you want to work with a consultant who always has your best interests at heart and will go above and beyond to help you sell your home quickly and for the highest price possible. That's exactly what you'll get when you work with us. We understand that selling a home can be a stressful and overwhelming process, which is why we make sure we are always available to you and provide top-notch skills to guide you along the way.
Our team of expert photographers, marketing professionals and professional service providers will work tirelessly to ensure that your home is seen by as many potential buyers as possible and once under contract we will not stop moving until you've achieved your desired outcome. And when it comes time to negotiate with buyers, you can rest assured that we will be tough negotiators, working to get you the best possible price for your home.
But we don't stop there. We believe that it's our job to make the selling process as stress-free and seamless as possible. That's why we offer additional services, like helping arrange handymen and contractors, professional staging advice, concierge services to help you arrange utility connections and find home automation assistance. We can even help you find professional packers and movers to make your move as easy as possible.
So if you're ready to sell your home and want to work with a team that will put your needs first, please review these steps then contact us at DB@DickBarr.com to schedule a free market analysis of your home. We're confident that you'll be impressed with our skills and dedication to helping you sell your home quickly and for the highest price possible.
The Selling Process
- Hire a REALTOR: We strongly recommend you not go this alone. There are so many things to consider when selling a home, that having a reliable, knowledgable, trustworthy agent is the best tool you have to help you get what you want and need. Our professional contacts alone make our services worthwhile, besides we average tens of thousands of dollars more in realized net income for you versus selling by owner.
- Declutter and Stage for photos: Decluttering and staging are incredibly important when it comes to real estate photography because they can make a significant difference in the way your home is presented to potential buyers. A clean, clutter-free home with well-placed furniture and accessories can make your home look more inviting and spacious, which can ultimately lead to more interest and higher offers.
- Conduct a Pre-Market Inspection: A pre-market inspection can be a valuable tool in the home selling process because it can help identify any issues with the property that may need to be addressed before listing the home. By addressing these issues before listing, you can avoid any surprises during the negotiation process and ensure that your home is priced appropriately. This can ultimately lead to a smoother and more successful selling experience.
- Make Repairs: Making repairs before closing is important because it can help ensure that the buyer is satisfied with the condition of the property and may prevent any future issues that could lead to costly repairs. By addressing any repairs upfront, you can increase the value of your home and potentially even receive higher offers. Buyers are often willing to pay more for a home that is move-in ready and doesn't require any immediate repairs or maintenance.
- Deep Clean: Deep cleaning is an essential step when preparing to list your home for sale as it can make a significant impact on the overall presentation and appeal of your property. A thoroughly cleaned home not only looks better but also creates a more welcoming environment for potential buyers. A clean home can also make it easier for buyers to envision themselves living in the space, which can ultimately lead to faster sales and higher offers.
- Professional Photography: Professional photography is crucial when listing a property for sale because it can attract more potential buyers and create a strong first impression. High-quality photographs can showcase your home's best features and create an emotional connection with buyers, which can lead to more showings, increased interest, and ultimately, higher offers. With professional photography, you can increase your chances of competitive bidding, which can drive up the sales price and help you achieve a successful and profitable sale.
- Videography: Videography and drone work are becoming increasingly important tools in the real estate industry because they can showcase properties in a dynamic and immersive way. Videos can offer a more in-depth look at a property and give potential buyers a better sense of the flow and layout of the home. Drone footage, in particular, can provide a unique perspective of the property and highlight features such as landscaping, outdoor amenities, and surrounding neighborhoods. By utilizing videography and drone work, you can create a more engaging and memorable experience for potential buyers, which can lead to increased interest and higher offers.
- Design Marketing Materials: Designing high-quality marketing materials for a home is crucial in today's competitive real estate market. Well-designed materials showcase the property's best features and create a lasting impression with potential buyers. Professionally designed materials can also create more interest and views online which means your home gets seen by more potential buyer.
- Post marketing to all Internet channels including Social Media: Utilizing our strong social media presence to promote a home listing is crucial in today's digital age. With millions of users on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, it's an effective way to reach a large audience and create buzz around a property. By leveraging our social media, we can generate interest from potential buyers who may not have found your listing through traditional channels. Additionally, social media allows for easy sharing and engagement, which can increase the visibility and exposure of your listing and ultimately lead to a faster and more successful sale.
- I will PreMarket Your Home: Premarketing a home can offer several benefits, including creating excitement, anticipation, and a sense of urgency among potential buyers. By teasing the property before it officially hits the market, you can generate interest and buzz, and even start receiving offers before the listing is public. This approach can also help you gauge the level of interest in the property and adjust your pricing and marketing strategies accordingly. Overall, premarketing can be an effective way to maximize exposure, generate interest, and ultimately achieve a successful and profitable sale.
- Hire a Real Estate Attorney: Selecting a good attorney is crucial for a smooth and successful real estate transaction. An attorney can help you navigate complex legal issues, review contracts and ensure that your interests are protected throughout the process. While there are many attorneys to choose from, it’s best to use your agent’s referral. Your real estate agent works with many attorneys and can recommend one that specializes in real estate transactions and has a proven track record of success. By using your agent’s referral, you can save time and ensure that you are working with an attorney who understands the nuances of the local market and can provide you with personalized service. In addition, using an attorney recommended by your agent can help ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards a common goal, which can lead to a smoother and more successful transaction overall. Ultimately, selecting a good attorney is an essential step in any real estate transaction, and working with an attorney recommended by your agent can help ensure that you have a positive and stress-free experience.
- Get in the MLS: Listing a home in the multiple listing service (MLS) can offer several benefits, including increased visibility and exposure to a wide network of real estate professionals and potential buyers. The MLS is a centralized database of properties for sale that is used by real estate agents and brokers to find and share listings with their clients. By listing your home in the MLS, we can ensure that it reaches a large audience and is easily searchable by agents and buyers. Additionally, the MLS provides valuable data and analytics that can help us track and measure the performance of your listing, allowing you to adjust your pricing and marketing strategies as needed to achieve a successful sale.
- Get on Real Estate sites like Zillow and Trulia, etc.: Getting your home listed on all the major real estate aggregating websites, such as Zillow, Trulia, and Redfin, can offer several benefits when selling your property. These websites are highly popular among homebuyers and provide easy access to a vast pool of potential buyers. By us listing your home on these websites, we can increase the visibility of your property, generate more interest, and ultimately receive more offers. Additionally, these websites provide valuable data and analytics, such as views and inquiries, which can help you measure the effectiveness of your listing and adjust your pricing and marketing strategies accordingly.
- Schedule those Showings: Accepting all showing requests is important when selling your home because it provides maximum exposure to potential buyers. By allowing as many showings as possible, you increase the chances of finding the right buyer for your property, potentially leading to more offers and a higher sale price. Additionally, refusing or limiting showing requests can give the impression that you are not motivated to sell or that there may be something wrong with the property, which can deter potential buyers. Ultimately, accepting all showing requests is a key aspect of successfully selling your home in a timely manner.
- Review Offers: As your consultant, I will help you review offers and discuss the bottom line for your best interest by providing expert guidance and negotiating on your behalf. I will work with you to carefully evaluate each offer, taking into consideration factors such as the price, terms, and contingencies, and help you determine the best course of action to achieve your goals. My aim is to ensure that you receive the most favorable terms and conditions possible, while minimizing any potential risks or drawbacks associated with the sale. Throughout the process, I will keep you informed and involved in every decision, ensuring that you have a clear understanding of the options available to you and are able to make informed choices that meet your needs and priorities.
- Accept Offer: Accepting an offer is a significant step in the home selling process and requires careful consideration. When deciding whether to accept an offer, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each offer, taking into account factors such as the price, terms, contingencies, reputation of those representing the buyer, and the financial stability of the buyer. It is important to work with your consultant to carefully review and evaluate each offer to ensure that it meets your needs and priorities, and to make an informed decision that you feel comfortable with.
- The Inspection: During a home inspection, a professional inspector will thoroughly examine the property to identify any issues or concerns that could affect the sale. The inspector will assess the condition of the home's major systems, such as the roof, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing, as well as the structural integrity of the property. As a seller, it is important to expect that the inspection may reveal issues that require repairs or further negotiation with the buyer. However, with the help of a knowledgeable consultant, you can prepare for the inspection and address any issues that arise in a way that protects your best interests and ensures a successful sale.
- Attorney Review: During the attorney review period, the buyer's and seller's attorneys will review and negotiate the terms of the contract to ensure that it protects their client's interests. This process can take several days or weeks, and during this time, either party may choose to cancel the contract for almost any reason. As a seller, it is important to be prepared for this process and to work with your attorney to ensure that your interests are protected. Your consultant can provide guidance and support throughout the attorney review period to help ensure that it is completed as quickly and efficiently as possible, and that you can move forward with the sale with confidence.
- The Appraisal: During the appraisal process, a licensed appraiser will evaluate the property to determine its current market value. The appraiser will take into account factors such as the size and condition of the property, its location, and recent sales of comparable properties in the area. As a seller, it is important to be prepared for the appraisal process and to ensure that your property is in good condition and well-maintained. If the appraisal comes in lower than the agreed-upon sales price, the buyer may try to renegotiate or even cancel the contract. Your consultant can help you navigate the appraisal process and provide guidance on how to prepare your property for the best possible appraisal outcome.
- Put the Closing Date on Your Calendar: Putting your home closing date on your calendar is a good way to stay organized and ensure that you're prepared for the big day. However, it's important to understand that the closing date can change, often due to unexpected issues that arise during the home buying process. These can include issues with financing, title searches, or home inspections. To account for this, it's a good idea to build in some flexibility to your plans and be prepared to adjust your schedule if necessary. Additionally, it's important to stay in communication with your real estate agent, attorney, and lender throughout the process to stay informed about any potential delays or changes to the closing date.
- Get Packing and Moving Company Quotes: When selling a home, it's common for sellers to start preparing for their move by packing up their belongings and calling moving companies for quotes. This allows them to get a better idea of the costs involved in the moving process and to start planning their budget accordingly. It's important to keep in mind that the actual cost of moving can vary depending on several factors, including the distance of the move, the amount of belongings being moved, and the services required from the moving company. It's a good idea to get quotes from multiple moving companies and to compare their services and pricing before making a decision. By starting to pack early and getting quotes from moving companies, buyers can stay organized and prepared for a smooth and stress-free move into their new home.
- Schedule Your Utilities to End the Day After Closing Day: As a seller, it is recommended to schedule utility shutoffs for the day AFTER closing. This allows the buyer to have the utilities turned on in their name without any interruption in service. It is also important to make sure that any outstanding bills have been paid prior to the closing date. Your consultant can provide guidance on how to properly schedule utility shutoffs and ensure that all necessary steps have been taken to avoid any issues with the buyer after closing.
- Arrange to end your Home Howners Insurance the day after Closing Day: It is important for a seller to schedule their insurance coverage termination for the day after closing. This ensures that the seller is still protected in case of any unforeseen delays in the closing process. In the rare event that the closing is delayed, the seller will still have insurance coverage and protection during that time. Your consultant can provide guidance on how to properly schedule insurance coverage termination and ensure that all necessary steps have been taken for a smooth closing process.
- Hire a Cleaning Person for Move Out: I always recommend sellers to hire a cleaning person for move-out day. This is not required, but it definitely helps promot good will at closing and helps prevent squabbles about the property not being in "broom swept condition." This not only ensures that the property is left in top condition for the buyer but also makes the move-out process much smoother for the seller. By having a professional cleaner take care of the final cleaning, the seller can focus on the other important tasks associated with the move-out process without having to worry about the cleanliness of the property. Your consultant can provide recommendations for professional cleaners and help coordinate their services for a stress-free move-out experience.
- Mortgage Approval and Clear to Close: As the agent representing you, we manage the loan process to make sure the loan is moving properly through the channels on time. Sometimes delays happen despite anyone's best efforts due to bottlenecks in the lenders system, but by staying on top of it daily, we experience much greater likelihood of successful on-time closings.
- The Final Walk-Through: From a seller's point of view, the final walkthrough is the last opportunity to ensure that the home is in the same condition as when the buyer initially made an offer. It is important for sellers to make sure the property is thoroughly cleaned and all items agreed upon in the contract have been completed. Sellers should also check that all personal belongings have been removed, and the home is ready for the buyer to take possession. The final walkthrough is a critical step in ensuring a successful closing and a positive experience for both the buyer and the seller. Buyers will typically schedule their final walkthroughs either the day before or the morning of closing. Seller has no obligation to be completely out of the house until closing, however if the seller still has items in the house at the time of the walkthrough, that could lead to delays if the buyer needs confirmation of the home being completely empty and undamaged. This can become especially problematic if the closing location is far away from the subject property.
- Closing Day: Closing day is an exciting and important day. However, ever since COVID, Sellers rarely attend closing anymore. If we've done everything right, we've worked with you that have you presign with your attorney, so that your attorney can represent you at closing without your need to be there. This saves hours of your time and hassle. You will provide your wire instructions (or desire to have a paper check) to your attoeny who will communicate that information to the Title Company, so you will have your funds in your bank before you know it.
- Review Me on Google, Facebook, Zillow, etc.: We hope we've earned you 5 Star review. If not, please let us know how we can do better. We love constructive feedback, that's how we've developed such advanced and comprehensive systems, to begin with!
- Jason & Amanda